Google Panda / Farmer update notes
Hello, as you may know there is an ongoing Google algorithmic update, called panda / farmer update, aimed at filtering out thin / made for Adsense / copied content from its search index.
This way such websites will be pushed down in SERPS, to be replaced by author content websites useful to the visitors.
The actual filter is an automatic semantic algorithm triggered by various factors in order to classify a content as useful or not. The triggering factors remain secret but, as you may already know, if you serve mixed: quality and bad content, your quality content positions will be impaired.
Apart from that other affecting factors are:
- google chrome browser addon, which allows blocking of non-quality sites from the surfer.
- new blocking site options provided by google search.
- social sharing: but not the actual number of likes, but the links that your website gets as a result of facebook like/ retweet.
Here is sample
from the affected websites and their traffic impact - somewhere between 70-90%.(note that the company providing the results is measuring particular set of words, and not the whole long tail traffic of the mentioned websites)
Google employees said that as a lack of satisfaction they count, when a user clicks the back button right when he/she's visited some page returning to search results in order to find another website. So here are some thinks that you can do in order to prepare your website for this update:
1. Calculate the thin or not-quality content and use the noindex meta tag. Example your 2nd level category pages containing only links and no actual content. Delete all the copied content, return header status 404 not-found and place a line in robots.txt.
2. Reduce the number of adsense ads/additional page elements which are appearing before your actual content.(above fold), or make sure that they're flowing the content:
Site layouts that highlight content
Site layout that pushes content below the fold
3. Use google analytics to find webpages, with lowest time on page, and use 1) to restrict them.
4. By default use meta noindex to all new pages until, they gain/have some quality content.
5. Don't use white text on black background.
6. Ensure maximum user time on page. by
Post a Comment